Graduate Certificate in
Expand Your Knowledge and Skills
The Geospatial Technologies Graduate Certificate is designed for working professionals who wish to develop technical skills in the emerging field of geospatial technologies. The impact of geospatial science and technology in society is powerful and increasingly recognized across industries and disciplines. Courses fulfilling this U of A certificate are taught by faculty at the Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies (http://cast.uark.edu/), an international leader in this field. A recent U of A Department of Geosciences survey shows that employers in Arkansas and surrounding states find it difficult to identify employees with sufficient geospatial qualifications, and the U.S. Department of Labor predicts a bright outlook for geospatial science and technology occupations within the next decade.
Designed for working professionals, the curriculum addresses specific skills that are vital for today's geospatial workforce, including programming and spatial databases, as well as core geospatial skills. In addition to the U of A certificate, the curriculum also prepares the student for three external certifications, if you chose to pursue them.
- Geospatial Intern Program certification through the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS)
- Certified ArcGIS (Geographic Information Systems) Desktop Associate through Esri, a company that was founded as Environmental Systems Research Institute in 1969.
- The Geographic Information Science Professional (GISP) exam offered by the Geographic Information System Certification Institute
University of Arkansas faculty use the U.S. Department of Labor’s Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM) to define the objectives of the classes and overall program. The GTCM identifies the expertise that distinguishes successful geospatial professionals of all kinds, whether you are currently in the workforce or a student planning to enter it.
To be eligible, students should have earned a bachelor's degree in a related field.
- GEOS 5543 - Geospatial Applications and Information Science, or
- GEOS 5733 - Geospatial Data Science in Public Health
- GEOS 5043 - Foundations of Geospatial Data Analysis
- GEOS 5073 - Geospatial Technologies Computational Toolkit
- GEOS 5553 - Spatial Analysis Using ArcGIS
- GEOS 5083 - Geospatial Data Mining
- GEOS 5593 - Introduction to Geodatabases
|Tuition / credit hour
|Fee / credit hour
|Network & Data Systems
Tuition and fees per credit hour reflect fall 2023 rates for students studying completely online. If an online student takes a course on campus, tuition and fees will differ.
Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid.