Online Advanced Standing Master of Social Work
≈ to Complete
- Requires a year-long internship (22-hours per week)
- Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Summer 2019: January 14
- $420.19 Tuition
- $2.77 Library fee
- $10.48 Network & Data Systems fee
- $30 Off-Campus fee
Tuition and fees per credit hour reflect fall 2017 rates for students studying completely online. If an online student takes a course on campus, tuition and fees will differ.
No application will be accepted from students living outside the U.S. borders, residents from the states of Colorado or North Carolina. Please check back in the future for updates concerning this policy.
Advance Your Career Through Education
Earning a master’s degree is an investment in your professional future. It will prepare the bachelor's-level social worker to practice independently and move into supervisory and leadership roles. Social workers with master’s degrees can earn about 25 percent more than those with bachelor’s degrees, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Earning an advanced practice degree also gives you an edge when applying for supervisory positions and helps you become a leader in the social work profession.
Learn in Place, Wherever You Are
The Online Advanced Standing Master of Social Work Program offers an online alternative for students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work and want to advance their education. It maintains as much flexibility as possible, allowing you time to schedule other responsibilities. Students will be able to “learn in place” wherever they live and still attend the flagship campus of the University of Arkansas as an online student.
The one-year, full-time MSW program offers a curriculum that mirrors our on-campus program, but all of the classes are conducted online. Orientation is also online, and no campus visits are required. Just as in any other social work program, you will gain practice in the field through internships that will be arranged in the vicinity of your current home. These internships will be set up and monitored by the faculty at the University of Arkansas School of Social Work to ensure a quality learning experience for you.
- Student cohorts provide peer support and networking opportunities
- Courses allow students to work independently
- Internships in current workplaces are considered (with restrictions)
- Students attend an internship Field Seminar each Tuesday evening, live via a virtual classroom
- Completion of this degree can prepare the motivated student for a PhD program
- Admission to the University of Arkansas Graduate School
- Bachelor’s degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program, or recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 hours leading up to the first bachelor’s degree.
- Personal statement
- Social needs paper
- Three professional references (academic, employer, supervisor) from persons able to assess the applicant’s current skills and characteristics as well as potential for success in graduate studies. One reference must be a field instructor (agency supervisor) or field liaison (field seminar instructor). Please note that non-professional references (friends, family members, ministers, counselors) will not be accepted. Reference names and contact information are submitted to the Graduate School as part of the Graduate School’s online application process.
- Completion of a basic statistics course
- Computer literacy demonstrated through prior coursework
- Personal interview may be required (may be done remotely)
- Computer and Internet access