Online Minor in African and African American Studies
For students in the online BA in Interdisciplinary Studies degree program or U of A degree-seeking students:
In order to add this minor, students must consult their advisors for their academic majors.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."Maya Angelou
The online African and African American Studies (AAST) minor provides a broad understanding of the global and historical impact of Africans and African Americans. These courses will help you develop a holistic world view and prepare you to advance social consciousness and promote diversity, inclusion and equity in business and community settings.
AAST courses are some of the most diverse at the University of Arkansas, exposing you to a diversity of people and thought. By exploring history, political science, sociology and similar topics, you can enhance your emotional intelligence and learn how to use tools to influence positive change and social justice.
This minor from the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences is an interdisciplinary program of study that expands on the core disciplines of a traditional liberal arts education. Explore history, culture and the identity of Africans and African Americans, while gaining insights that can broaden your professional opportunities.
- Critically evaluate scholarly works on African and African American studies
- Describe the basic principles guiding African and African American studies discourse
- Demonstrate knowledge of research techniques, documentation, organization, style and mechanics of academic writing
- Apply African- and African American-centered theories, approaches, concepts and empirical research to multiple disciplines
Required Courses (6 hours)
- AAST 2023 - The African American Experience
- AAST/HIST 3233 - African American History to 1877, or
- HIST/AAST 3243 - African American History since 1877
Courses (Select 9 remaining hours)
- AAST 3023 - African Americans in Sports
- AAST 3123 - African American Students in Higher Education
- AAST/JOUR/COMM 3263 - African Americans in Film
- AAST/HIST 3233 - African American History to 1877
- AAST/HIST 3243 - African American History Since 1877
- AAST/HIST 4173 - Social Work with African American Families
- AAST/HIST 4563 - The Old South, 1607-1865 (self-paced)