Online Minor in African and African American Studies
For students in the online BA in Interdisciplinary Studies degree program or U of A degree-seeking students.
In order to add this minor, students must consult their advisors for their academic majors.
Gaining Global Perspective
The African and African American Studies online minor will explore the legacy of the African diaspora and African-descended people’s global experiences in Africa and the Americas. In addition to serving as a supplement for major programs of study, the minor will provide a strong basis for pursuing graduate and professional opportunities, as well as employment.
This minor from the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences is an interdisciplinary program of study that expands on the core disciplines of a traditional liberal arts education. Explore history, culture and the identity of Africans and African Americans.
- Students will critically engage and connect the inter- and multi-disciplinary themes of African and African American studies
- Students will be able to effectively communicate (oral and written) themes of African and African American studies
- Students will be able to connect course goals with other AAST courses in their program of study to provide a broad understanding of the impact of Africans and African Americans in the world
- Students will develop an appreciation of African and African American culture
- Critically evaluate scholarly works on African and African American studies
- Describe the basic principles guiding African and African American studies discourse
- Demonstrate knowledge of research techniques, documentation, organization, style and mechanics of academic writing
- Apply African and African American centered theories, approaches, concepts, and empirical research to multiple disciplines
Required Courses (6 hours)
- AAST 2023: African American Experience
- AAST/HIST 3233 African American History to 1877 or HIST/AAST 3243 African American History since 1877
Courses (Select 9 remaining hours)
- AAST 3023, African Americans in Sports
- AAST 3123, African Americans in Higher Education
- AAST/JOUR/COMM 3263, African Americans in Film
- AAST/HIST 3233, African American History to 1877 (if not fulfilled above)
- AAST/HIST 3243, African American History Since 1877(if not fulfilled above)
- AAST/HIST 4563, The Old South, Three Hours [Self-Paced Online (correspondence) Course]
- AAST 499V/SCWK 405V, Social Work with African American Families and Communities