Master of Education in Special Education
≈ to Complete
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 15
- Fall: July 1
Tuition and Fees
|Tuition / credit hour||$437.54|
|Fee / credit hour|
|Network & Data Systems||$11.10|
Tuition and fees per credit hour reflect fall 2021 rates for students studying completely online. If an online student takes a course on campus, tuition and fees will differ.
Share this page:
Teach Students with Disabilities
Earn a master's degree and gain the skills and knowledge needed to teach students with disabilities. This Special Education (SPED) master's program offers two paths:
- For those with a current teaching licenses - earn a master's degree and course credit needed to apply for an endorsement in special education through the Arkansas Department of Education
- For those who need teaching licenses - earn a master's degree and coursework needed to apply for initial licensure in special education through the Arkansas Department of Education
Courses are delivered via the Internet, allowing for the flexibility to pursue educational goals at a time and place that fits individual schedules. The practicum course takes place in the public schools. Chosen licensure endorsements and graduate certificates can be embedded into the Special Education program, which received national recognition from the Council for Exceptional Children.
Generally, for admission in the M.Ed. in Special Education, the cumulative GPA in the last 60 hours taken should be 3.0 or higher and a standardized core knowledge test, which could include the GRE or core PRAXIS.
While earning your master's degree, you can choose to embed coursework required for:
- Endorsement Plan for Dyslexia Therapist
- Endorsement Plan for SPED Educational Examiner
- Endorsement Plan for SPED Education Resource Room
- Initial Licensure in SPED
It worked with my schedule, and gave me more flexibility. If I knew something for school was coming up in about 3 weeks that was going to take up a lot of my time, I could work ahead."
Scholarship / Grant
- Suzanne Kucharczyk, Ed.D.
Do you need a teaching license?
Job-posting data can give you insights about who is seeking job applicants, where those jobs are located, and the average salary information. Use the tool to see national or regional information.
Data provided by Burning Glass Technologies is drawn from large national data samples and is not reflective or representative of U of A specific student or program outcomes.