Bachelor of Arts in English
Years to Complete
|Tuition / credit hour||$255.51|
|Fee / credit hour|
|Network & Data Systems||$12.10|
Tuition and fees per credit hour reflect fall 2023 rates for students studying completely online. If an online student takes a course on campus, tuition and fees will differ.
Earn Your Bachelor's Degree in English Online
Businesses know that English majors are good communicators and are trained to approach problems creatively and from multiple angles, skills that are highly valued in many professional and creative realms. This online English degree program will help you prepare for your career in this way, as well as help you develop a deep and flexible understanding of human expression, a lifelong benefit in both practical and cultural terms.
You can tailor your studies to your interests and future career goals by choosing one of three concentrations:
Rhetoric and Writing Studies - Enhance your professional value by learning to write effectively in the workplace. Master written communications by applying effective strategies and techniques.
Creative Writing - Develop your own creative writing voice while learning from faculty who are award-winning writers themselves. Gain a deep understanding of the great writers and works of the past.
Topical Studies - Learn how to think critically about literature and culture within a specific topical area that will be determined by you and your adviser.
Benefits of a Degree in English
In this online bachelor's program, you can explore diverse course subjects with many areas of special interest, including composition pedagogy, creative writing, and gender studies, as well as folklore and literature by authors with diverse backgrounds. More specifically, you will:
- Acquire both general and specialized knowledge in your field, as well as develop skills in preparation for careers in academia, education and other areas.
- Gain professional skills and knowledge in preparation for entering the job market or for applying to graduate programs.
- Be able to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of literary works in English.
- Develop skills for the appreciation and critical reading of literary texts.
- Learn to analyze, create and defend complex arguments in correct and rhetorically-effective written English.
- Learn to demonstrate knowledge of and appreciation for a range of issues related to diversity.
Why Get a Bachelor of Arts in English Online?
The flexibility of online courses makes it possible for you to juggle work, family, life and education. You can work with academic advisers to plan your journey to graduation, whether you are bringing credits with you or just starting. And U of A support services for online students are ready to help you with technology questions or point you to the college resources you need.
Careers with a Bachelor's Degree in English
- Writers, technical writers, authors
- Reporters, editors, digital media writers
- Marketing and public relations associates
- Communications and social media managers
- Research analysts and production assistants
- Some English majors pursue graduate education to become teachers or professors
Job Market Outlook
The Pathways career data reflect career information associated with degree programs, and that data may include some jobs that require additional credentials and experience BEYOND the academic degree, including but not limited to professional licensure and certification, additional coursework, and specific training. See " About this data" to learn more about Pathways.